For about one in three infertile couples, the problem lies solely in the male partner. Infertility means that a couple is unable to conceive a child after trying for a year or longer. Seven percent of all couples suffer from infertility.
If you and your partner are unable to conceive a child, you want to know the reason why right away. Fellowship-trained urologist Dr. Desi Avila can help identify and correct reversible causes of male infertility for patients throughout the Phoenix and Scottsdale region.
More than 90% of male infertility cases are due to low sperm count, poor sperm quality, or both. The remaining cases of male infertility can be caused by a range of conditions including anatomical problems, hormonal imbalances, and genetic defects.
Common Causes for Infertility in Men
- Varicocele (abnormal collection of bulging veins around the testicle)
- Hormone imbalances
- Certain medications
- Environmental toxins
- Chromosomal abnormalities
- Obstruction blocking sperm flow
- Testicular cancer treatment
- Infection in testicle, prostate, or bladder
- Undescended testicle
Dr. Avila will perform a thorough history and physical exam and request a reproductive and health history from your female partner, as well. He will collect a semen sample from you and analyze the quantity and quality of sperm available.
Based on the results of the semen analysis, Dr. Avila may also evaluate hormone levels, test for genetic abnormalities, or order diagnostic tests such as ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI.
Infertility treatments may include:
- Surgical repair of varicoceles
- Surgical removal of sperm flow obstruction
- Sperm retrieval:
- Testicular sperm extraction (TESE)
- Microscopic dissection of the testicles (microTESE)
- Percutaeous testicular or epididymal sperm aspiration
- Microscopic epididymal sperm aspiration (MESA)
- Vasectomy reversal
If you have been struggling with infertility, don’t wait any longer. Prompt treatment with proven methods by an experienced male fertility specialist can help increase your partner’s chances of becoming pregnant. Contact Dr. Desi Avila at Ironwood Urology in Phoenix today to schedule your consultation. Call (480) 961-2323 or request an appointment online.