Why Men Experiencing ED Should Talk to Their Doctors
Men should definitely discuss with their doctor, any problems they are having achieving and maintaining an erection. It is important to get a clear diagnosis to determine the cause of this condition not only to help resolve sexual difficulties, but also because there are treatments readily available for this condition. More importantly, it could save their lives.
Organic Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
There are many causes of ED, with 90 percent of all ED cases having a physical cause. Often, a proper diagnosis can reveal underlying medical conditions that may be causing ED. In fact, here are some of the common physical or organic causes of ED:
· Heart disease and Narrowing of Blood Vessels: Any condition which interferes with blood flow in the body can also interfere with blood flow to the penis. Good blood flow to the penis is what allows an erection.
· Atherosclerosis: This is a common cause of blood flow problems, because it causes a narrowing or clogging of the arteries, including to the penis. This prevents the necessary blood flow into the penis in sufficient amounts to produce an erection.
· High Blood Pressure
· High Cholesterol
· Alcohol and other Substance Abuse
· Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome
· Parkinson’s Disease
· Multiple Sclerosis
· Hormonal Disorders: These can include thyroid conditions and testosterone deficiency
· Structural or Anatomical Disorder of the Penis: Peyronie’s disease is one example.
· Radiation Therapy to the Pelvic Region
· Injuries in the Pelvic Region or to the Spinal Cord
Determining the cause of your erectile dysfunction could, in fact, save your life by diagnosing any of the above conditions (such as cardiovascular disease or diabetes) that could be life threatening if left untreated.
Diet and Erectile Dysfunction: It Matters What You Eat or Drink
It is important for men to eat a healthy diet to maintain general good health, because a diet that is bad for a man’s health can also be a diet that is bad for his ability to have erections.
Whether or not a man is able to achieve and maintain an erection is directly based upon the quality of the blood flow to and within the penis. So, it stands to reason that any eating patterns that can cause heart attacks due to restricted blood flow in the coronary arteries can also impede penile erections.
A healthy diet for a man who wishes to maintain good blood flow to his penis should include the following:
· Whole grains
· Heart healthy fats: Including nuts, olive oil
· Wine, particularly red
The link between following the popular Mediterranean Diet and improved sexual function has been scientifically established.
And, while there is no specific evidence that alcohol consumption is bad for erectile dysfunction, chronic drinking can cause liver and nerve damage, and interfere with the normal balance of male sex hormone levels. Those conditions can all lead to ED.
If you are in the Phoenix, AZ area and are experiencing persistent problems achieving or maintaining an erection, please call Ironwood Urology for an appointment with board-certified urologist Dr. Desiderio Avila, Jr. at (602) 457-1705. He can diagnose your condition and offer the best treatment options available, to help you maintain a healthy and functional sex-life.