Vasectomy reversal is a surgical procedure to restore fertility in men who have previously had a vasectomy. The most common reasons for a vasectomy reversal are a change in life circumstances, which could be anything from getting divorced to the desire to have a child with a new partner, and regrets about having a vasectomy in the first place. Out of the 500,000 American men that undergo a vasectomy, approximately 1,500 will seek a vasectomy reversal.
Let’s talk about the pros and cons of a vasectomy reversal and where you can find a highly-skilled urologic surgeon experienced in this specialized surgical procedure in Phoenix, AZ.
Pros of a Vasectomy Reversal
- A vasectomy reversal can be performed as an outpatient procedure, i.e., you won’t have to stay in the hospital overnight.
- You should feel no pain, as any technique used in a vasectomy reversal requires general anesthesia and long-acting local anesthesia.
- The success rate for a vasectomy reversal is relatively high – between 50 and 80 percent –
- It allows a couple to become pregnant naturally without using expensive fertility treatments.
Cons of a Vasectomy Reversal
- There is no guarantee that the reversal will be successful, so you must choose a highly trained and experienced surgeon for the procedure, as most vasectomy reversal failures are due to the surgical technique or failure to perform the surgery correctly. The skill of the vasectomy reversal surgeon significantly affects surgical outcomes.
- The surgery is invasive and risks complications, such as infection or bleeding. Again, the risk of complications increases the less experienced the surgeon is in performing the surgery. A highly skilled surgeon can use techniques to reduce the risk of complications by minimizing tissue trauma through a no-scalpel approach to identify the vasectomy site.
When performed by a specially trained urologic surgeon, a vasectomy reversal can mean a complication-free recovery and the restoration of your fertility.
Board-Certified and Fellowship-Trained Vasectomy Reversal Surgeon in Phoenix, AZ
Dr. Desiderio Avila Jr. is a highly experienced vasectomy and vasectomy reversal surgeon at Ironwood Urology. Due to Dr. Avila’s specialized training in vasectomy reversal, most patients experience little pain and can return to work in as little as a week. Moreover, Dr. Avila’s success rate is much higher than the national average of 50 percent. If you are concerned about the cost of the treatment, know that Dr. Avila also offers low-cost vasectomy reversals.
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Avila today to find out if you are a good candidate for a vasectomy reversal and to start planning your treatment. Call our urology office today at (480) 961-2323 or use our convenient online appointment request form.