Prostate cancer is when there is an abnormal, uncontrolled growth of the prostate cells – a male reproductive organ located just below the bladder and in front of the rectum.
Typically, the prostate gland is the size of a walnut, but as men age, their prostate gland tends to increase in size. Growth in the prostate gland can be benign (benign prostatic hyperplasia) or malignant (prostate cancer).
Approximately 1 in 8 men in the United States receive a diagnosis of prostate cancer at some point in their life. Let’s talk about some tips to treat prostate cancer and where you can go for effective cancer treatment in Phoenix, AZ.
Tips To Treat Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States after lung cancer. The good news is that prostate cancer can be treated with an aggressive treatment regimen and healthy lifestyle habits.
Mentioned below are some tips that you can follow to treat prostate cancer.
- Know your treatment options – Your treatment options for prostate cancer depend on your age, health history, health status, stage of cancer, and preference for treatment.
- Ask your urologist about watchful waiting or active surveillance – If your cancer isinthe early stages or is at minimal risk for metastasis, your urologist may monitor you closely without recommending any treatment.
During active surveillance, your urologist may use regular prostate-specific antigen tests (PSA), blood tests, digital rectal exams (DREs), and ultrasound to evaluate the progressof your cancer.
- Talk to your urologist about radiation therapy–Radiation therapy can be used for slow-growing or low-intensity cancer that is limited to the prostate gland. It can also be used as first-line therapy for metastasized cancer.
- Consult your urologist about cryosurgery–For the early stages of prostate cancer, cryosurgery, also called cryotherapy or cryoablation, can be used. During the procedure, freezing gases are used to destroy the tumor.
- Talk to your doctor about hormone therapy – Hormone therapy can shrink prostate cancer cells by decreasing or stopping androgen concentration. So, it’s better to consider it during your treatment.
- Consider chemotherapy – Chemotherapy uses pharmacological drugs, either orally or intravenously to kill the proliferating cancer cells. Chemotherapy is an option for prostate cancer that has metastasized in distant areas.
- Ask your urologist about surgery – Surgery or prostatectomy is the removal of the prostate and its surrounding tissues. Surgery is thetreatment of last resort for prostate cancer.
- Ask your urologist about vaccine treatment – Urologists recommend vaccination for men with progressive prostate cancer that is not getting better with hormonal therapy.
- Eat healthy–Treatment options for prostate cancer can cause side effects, such as nausea and changes in taste, which can cause you to eat less. However, you must eat well to enable your body to fight cancer.
- Be active – Staying active and doing exercise can maintain your weight and improve your overall health. Studies have also reported that men who exercise before and after prostate cancer diagnosis have better chances for survival and improved quality of life.
- Quit smoking and drinking–Smoking and drinking can increase your risk for prostate cancer and put you at risk for several other diseases.
- Calm your nerves – During prostate cancer treatment, you may experience depression, anxiety, and stress. So, calm your nerves and manage stress with exercise and relaxation techniques.
- Try alternative treatments like acupuncture– Even though acupuncture is not a treatment for prostate cancer, it can ease your stress due to prostate cancer and insert positive energy in you.
Prostate Cancer Treatment in Phoenix, AZ
If you have symptoms of prostate cancer, visit us here at Ironwood Urology in Phoenix, AZ, for a thorough evaluation. Our highly experienced and skilled men’s health experts and urologist Dr. Desiderio Avila Jr. will carefully investigate your health history, order some tests, give you a diagnosis and develop a treatment plan customized to your unique needs.
If you would like to make an appointment with our men’s health expert, call today at (480) 961-2323 or simply request an appointment online.